American Like Me Post 2

 I chose American Like Me for a couple of reasons, but the main one is that I am a huge fan of America Ferrera. I love The Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants, the first and the second, and would always watch Ugly Betty when I was younger. She has always played such real roles, ones that I think most people can relate to. The other reason I was intrigued by this book was because of a class I took Freshman Year called “Outsiders in America”. During our class we read books talking about immigrants’ experiences coming to the US and the ostracizing feeling they would get being so different from everyone else. It was a different perspective I hadn’t thought much about as my family has lived in the US since the early 1900s, but something I wanted to learn more about. I think American Like Me perfectly captures this “outsider” feeling so many immigrant families experience living in the US.

 

I loved how America incorporated so many different stories from people with very different backgrounds, but that somehow all flowed together. Isolation and sacrifice were two themes that I think were present in almost every story. Journeying to a place where everyone is different from you and thinks differently is extremely isolating. What is even harder is to feel like you don’t belong. Your parents are stuck on ideals from their homeland that you can’t relate to fully, but your peers have a whole different perspective from you as well. Being stuck in the middle can be extremely lonely. Sacrifice is parents leaving everything they knew to go to America to provide a better life for their kids. It is also losing a piece of yourself in order to fit in better. Whether it is your name, your lunch, your clothing, or your religious holidays it is so easy to feel the need to “fit in”, however, all of the authors explained how it is so much more important honoring your culture than hiding it.

 

I would 100% recommend this book, and already recommended it to my mom. I think American Like Me has so many different layers to it. It is not just a compilation of immigrant family stories but coming of age stories and stories of self-discovery. I think that anyone can relate to this book, people from immigrant families or people who are not from immigrant families. This book gives a lot of perspective on the strength and courage it takes to uproot your whole life to try and provide a better future for your family. There are so many renowned actors, authors, activists, and athletes in this book that there is really something for everyone. I highly recommend everyone read it!

Comments

  1. You do an excellent job of recommending this book to another person; I'm tempted to read it myself. However, from your comments, the book seems a little sad. The themes of "isolation and sacrifice" tend to be that way. It's amazing the pain parents will endure for the sake of their children. Actually, it's one of the things that terrifies me about parenthood.

    My mother is an immigrant from Thailand and reading a powerful memoir that could help me understand her sacrifice is something that could help our relationship. I just returned to Los Angeles last night after spending four (long) months in Oregon with my parents. Even though she cussed me out on several occasions during my stay and I was chaffing under their rules, my mother shed tears when it was time for me to leave for the airport. She's an exceptional person and anything I can do to be a better son should be done.

    Thank you for the well-written and succinct account; I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you were able to read a book by one of your favorite authors; that must have made it more enjoyable! It's nice that you were able to connect the book to a class you took before. I come from an immigrant family and I think I can see how isolation and sacrifice are present in the different stories. It can definitely be frustrating to have a different perspective than everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually really happy I got to read this review of America's book because you analyzed it in such a great way. Growing up as a first generation American to Iranian immigrant parents, I can definitely relate to the feeling of being pulled by two completely different cultures. As a kid, trying to fit in with other classmates was the natural thing to do and was much easier than being unique. I remember feeling weird bringing my friends home to meet my family. But, as you said, when I grew up I realized that it is more important to embrace your unique culture and respect other diverse groups of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I really enjoyed this book review. I am the son of Indian immigrants and I understand what it feels like to be stuck in the middle. You are raised in one culture that your parents have created yet you are also exposed to a whole different culture that you experience with your peers at school or in other social and public contexts. I am happy that you took so much away from this book and that it moved you enough to recommend to your mom. Based on your review and others, I may want to read this book next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel, I enjoyed reading your post because I think you described the book in a great manner. I enjoyed reading about the two themes you found throughout the book. As a child of Mexican immigrants, I understand what you mean when you say sacrifice is leaving things behind for a better life in America. I remember it was tough for my family to adjust to a new way of life. However, like you said, they were also proud of the culture they brought. I could see how much you enjoyed and learned from the book! I look forward to reading this book next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, I read this book too! And I also loved it. I totally agree with you about the two running themes of isolation and sacrifice that ran through all the short stories, but looking at the book as a whole, I felt such a sense of togetherness. Like talking with friends and family, I felt I was getting to know each storyteller and I felt each storyteller related to each other. Despite their stories being unrelated, they still felt connected to each other, and I felt connected to them. I think it's a must read for all Americans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job Rachel! You did a great job of breaking down the lessons and hardships in the book, and I'm interested in reading this in the future to learn firsthand. I can't personally relate to the struggles and hardships that the people in the book experience, but I'm in awe of what they're able to overcome. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rachel, I really like your post! I chose this book for my book post too! It’s nice to hear that you enjoyed the book as well. I think this book is so relatable and entertaining. The fact that we were able to experience it through the perspectives of famous athletes, writers, actors, and activists, it was fun to read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment