Random Post 1

Given that this post is supposed to be a 'random' post, I thought this topic was most fitting. I spend a stupid amount of time each day watching ASMR videos. ASMR videos can be anything from whispering, someone brushing their hair, or tapping their nails. Something about it weirdly satisfies me. Soap being diced and sliced is my favorite to watch. I swipe away precious hours of the day on Instagram and Facebook watching videos of pointless things. I hate myself for it, and everyday tell myself I won’t waste as much time watching them. I even set limits on my phone so I know how much time I spend watching them, but every time I hit the limit I keep watching. 

It is a strange and weird addiction. I hate it, but I love it. It is in every sense of the phrase, my guilty pleasure. It is so satisfying and I have to keep watching more, but the more I watch the more guilty I feel for wasting my time watching them. I don’t know why I love them so much, I wish I could explain my infatuation, but I can’t. The videos are so insignificant, but consume so much of my attention. Everyone has different reactions to the videos, some love them and some think that they are stupid.

The reason why ASMR videos are so satisfying to watch is because they trigger the same parts of your brain that give you goose bumps. Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response is a tickling sensation that runs through your body. The sounds from these popular videos on the internet trigger the ASMR experience. The tingling sensation starts from the top of your head and descends going to all parts of your body. If you've ever head a scalp massage and then had goose bumps, it's kind of the same thing.

ASMR videos have grown in popularity in the past few years because they offer a relaxing sensation for people. A huge reason for that is because ASMR can be a form of cognitive behavioral reliefs: relaxation or meditation.  Although most people watch things today for the visual aspects, the comforting and familiar sounds is what draws people to watch and listen to ASMR videos. There has been research to support that ASMR videos have helped people struggling with insomnia. Hearing those familiar sounds before going to bed puts people to ease and lets them fall asleep more easily.

Comments

  1. I didn't know ASMR was a thing until I read your post; you learn something new everyday I guess.

    I laugh about it know, because I think my gf might be adherent too. She tried to get me to watch these YouTube cooking videos of people cutting vegetables and boiling water. I couldn't understand why the commentators were highlighting the sounds of these very routine and monotonous activities. The cadence of their speech was slow and measured too; it's frustrating when you're standing in a hot kitchen trying to prepare a meal!

    Rachel, I wouldn't feel too bad about the wasted time. A lot of people have much more destructive and/or expensive vices. It's a form of meditation, so I'd appreciate ASMR stimulation as an easy and convenient way to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried watching ASMR videos a few years ago and could understand the hype! However, I personally didn't like ASMR much. However, I do understand the appeal. I watch a lot of cooking videos where the chef doesn't talk at all but focuses on the sounds of the cooking (kind of like the ones Dennis's girlfriend watches but without the speech). A lot of Korean cooking videos are made in this style so it's helpful to watch them whenever I need some new ideas for what to make. I guess that's my own version of ASMR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, this is such a random topic I love it. I have a funny story about ASMR for you. My roommate freshman year always listened to it to fall asleep, but I never knew. One night her headphones unplugged or something and I started hearing these weird noises and I swore we had a rat in our dorm. I was so freaked out and literally woke her up to tell her that I thought it was under her bed because that was where it sounded like the tapping and scratching noises were coming from and that's when I discovered ASMR! Personally, it's not my favorite thing to listen to, but it's awesome that it works so well for others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel, I really enjoyed your post about ASMR. This is something that I had always heard about but never really knew what it meant. I'm glad that you were able to not only talk about how much you enjoy it, but also explaining what it does. I found this very informative. Now I can see why they've gain so much popularity over the last couple of years. Thanks to your post, I'll definitely keep an eye out for any ASMR videos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was cool to hear that you enjoy ASMR so much. Unfortunately I've tried it before and I haven't felt that same satisfaction you discussed here. I completely understanding hating your guilty pleasure despite doing it so much. I hate "wasting time" on YouTube but I have no intentions of stopping either. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you enjoy ASMR but I personally cannot stand to listen to it for too long. It just makes me feel uncomfortable for a while. I also understand hating your guilty pleasure but at least it isn't anything bad. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rachel, nice to hear that you enjoyed watching ASMR videos. Some of it are pretty interesting but I have to say, I don't really watch ASMR videos, but I do often watch cooking videos follow by Mukbang ( Korean version of cook/eating videos)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you said, ASMR is oddly satisfying and it's hard to understand why it's enjoyable. However, while I enjoy some forms of ASMR, I also have realised that there are others that I despise. For example, I like watching ASMR videos of others eating, but I can't stand the videos of people speaking softly into a mic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment