Book 2 Post 2
I picked My Life on the Road, because I have always been a fan of Gloria Steinem and what she stands for. She is an advocate for equal rights and a chancellor for all who cannot fight for themselves. Last year, I had the privilege of hearing Gloria Steinem speak in my sister’s Zoom class (perks of online classes) and you could still hear the passion in her voice after all of these years. My mom originally read My Life on the Road a few years ago and gave it to me. I had it on my bookshelf for the longest time and never decided to read it. I am so happy My Life on the Road was one of the book options, because it forced me to actually read this book. Steinem is extremely well written and conveys a remarkable story of her life. I can relate to her need for adventure as I too never want to stay in one place for too long.
Steinem is always moving and learning through the different people she meets from place to place. Because of her travels she is able to connect with so many people and invest in their lives. The only way we can create change is if we are open and honest with others and with ourselves. The book starts with lessons learned from her father: how taking public transportation will help you interact with more with strangers, how the road is the destination, and how to be open to possibilities. Steinem conveys how much change we have created since she started and how people underestimate change. The 1977 National Women’s Conference was transformative, yet people barely recognize it. Often we focus too much on where we need to go and not enough on what we have already accomplished. Steinem emphasized the importance of being true to yourself and not changing to fit someone else’s agenda.
I would highly recommend My Life on the Road. I think that this book is filled with so many amazing lessons that any person, no matter who they are and where they come from, can relate to. Steinem explains the beauty of change. We all seem to get so scared of the unknown and where our life may take us, but that is what makes life so special. Being open to everyone and everything is what has fulfilled her and what has kept her going after all of these years. I loved how honest Steinem was about her own prejudices and how we all need to acknowledge how none of us are perfect, but as long as we try to be better, we will grow. This book really inspired me to go out of my comfort zone and try and be open and embrace the world. Gloria Steinem is a leader of change and a leader of the future.
Hi Rachel! Thanks for telling me to read this one, I am glad we both got to read and talk about it together. That's amazing you got to hear her speak in your sister's zoom!
ReplyDeleteWow that's awesome you got to listen to Gloria speak and hear her passion firsthand! I read this book as well and completely agree with many of your points. I think you're exactly right with how important it is to be true to yourself and stay strong despite other people's differing agendas. Nice job!
ReplyDeleteIt's a fortunate coincidence that the book was just sitting on your bookshelf, waiting for you to read it. I might have to go over my book collection and unearth a gem or two. I wonder how her voice sounded. You describe hearing the passion in it, but I wonder what her speaking cadence sounds like. Rachel, you wrote a lovely review for a lovely memoir!
ReplyDeleteHey Rachel, I liked the personal connection you had with that author and book (if that is the correct way to describe it). But, hearing the author speak and being given the book from your mother seems like a subtle coincidence to read the book after so many years! Happy to hear that you took some of the passions that the author have to heart; it seems like you took a lot away from the book!
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel, it's so cool that you got to listen to the author herself speak! Amazing that you had it lying around as well. I agree with the point that sometimes we focus too much on the goal and too little on the journey. Sometimes, we all need a reminder to slow down and look around. Great post!
ReplyDelete