Random Post 2
When I was twelve years old I moved from a small suburb outside of New York City to Malibu, CA. It is an understatement to say that I was unhappy with this move. My dad had gone to college in California and wanted a ‘more relaxed lifestyle’. My parents were tired of always being on the go and not having a moment to breathe. My friends were excited for me, they thought it was so cool I was moving to ‘Cali’—I soon realized after moving to California that no one uses the word ‘Cali’ if you’re actually from California. I was more apprehensive. I thought this was a selfish decision made by my parents, and that it was the worst time for me to move.
I think the biggest difference—besides the climate, my favorite season is fall, and needless to say, there is no fall foliage in Southern California—was the community. I went from living in a neighborhood where I lived on the same street as four of my classmates, I was a three-minute walk to my best friend’s house, and a five-minute drive to my school. In Malibu, I didn’t know any of my neighbors, my friends from school lived at least 25 minutes away, and I had to take a 55-minute school bus to get to school. I felt a disconnect from my surroundings and felt extremely uncomfortable in my new environment. This is when I realized how important community is to me.
I did everything in my power to re-create how I felt living in New York. Instead of being really connected with my neighborhood in Malibu, I tried to get involved as much I could at school. I thought I could have that same closeness at my school that I felt living on my old street in New York. After many years, I grew to love living in Malibu and appreciated the differences between the two places. The people, the weather, and the way of living are opposites at times, and I think that has made me appreciate both places. I am so thankful for moving, because if I didn’t I think I would have gotten too comfortable living in New York, I would have gone to college on the East Coast, and never left. Although I plan on moving back to New York after graduation, I will always love California, the memories I have made, and the experiences I have had.
Nice job Rachel! I can relate to you a little bit as I grew up on the East coast but came out here for college. Your writing is nice and direct and I'd also love to live in New York for a few years in my 20s. Nice work!
ReplyDeleteHey Rachel! As someone's who's been born and raised in California, it's definitely interesting for me to read about a person's perspective who's moved into California. My dad grew up in New York but moved to LA after college and had the same opinion as your dad; he prefers California because "the weather and people are nicer." I like how you recreated the elements you liked about living in New York with the positive parts of living in California!
ReplyDeleteHey Rachel, I think this was a great post! I think you did a great job at describing the similarities and differences of moving to Malibu compared to when you lived in New York. I know moving can always be scary because it's always a new experience. I'm glad that after a couple of years you were able to feel comfortable in Malibu and appreciate both cities and its differences!
ReplyDeleteHey Rachel, thanks for sharing. It is interesting to hear about the differences in both communities that you speak about. I am from LA and always have lived in LA, so the community and the people here is something I am very used to and can identify with. Glad you still tried to make California your home for the time being and hope New York is still the same place you loved when you left.
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel, thank you for sharing part of your childhood and your journey. I love how you were so honest in your feelings when you wrote this, and I had a wonderful time getting to know you better through your post. I hope you have a great time moving back to New York and continue to make more great memories!
ReplyDeleteHey Rachel, thanks for sharing this great post. I really appreciate how you were able to adapt to a new way of life in Malibu. I think this is an important trait because many times in life we are forced outside our comfort zones and must learn to cope with new challenges and lifestyles. Great post.
ReplyDeleteHey Rachel, thank you for sharing your post and thoughts on the differences of growing up between Malibu and New York. Growing up in LA, I always dreamed of living in the east coast, and can't wait for that day. I think it's important to learn to adapt to different lifestyles and places as it increases our ability to work from anywhere in the world, so it's awesome that you got to experience that.
ReplyDeleteHey Rachel, I am definitely glad your family moved to Malibu so that our paths could cross! I always wonder if I would have met the same people who are in my life now if our life circumstances were different because it was "meant to be," (but I'm not too sure I believe in that). Maybe I'll catch you in New York after college! You know where you'll find me hahah
ReplyDelete